Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day 10

No prompt or silver lining - just a story.
Yesterday, I picked up my son from school to take him to the doctor.  
We saw a doctor who was new to both of us.  When she came in, she asked how we were related.  This is not a new question for me because both of our children were adopted from Korea.  So I politely said that I am the mom.  When the doctor visit was over, my son and I went out to lunch to enjoy some mom and son time.  While we were waiting for our food, I decided to ask Joseph why he thinks the doctor asked me how he and I are related.  Keep in mind, he is now 8 years old.  He  looked at me rather quizzically and said, "I don't know, maybe she thought you were my grandma?"  Hmmm... not what I was expecting or wanting to hear.  So I prompted him by saying. "Do you think it's because you are Korean that she asked me that question?"  And without skipping a beat, he looked up from his kid's menu and said with disbelief, "How did she know I was Korean?"  I started to laugh, he looked back at his menu and asked if I wanted to play hangman.
I guess all those books,discussions, adoption gatherings, and years of Korean Culture Camp just haven't sunk in yet.  He doesn't seem to see a difference between himself and anyone else in the world.  And as much as I want him to embrace the culture of his roots, I love his view of humanity.  "We're all just people, Mom."  That's my boy. :)

2 comments:

  1. This story is hilarious! Kids NEVER do what we want them to when we want them to. This is particularly true when we are seizing the teachable moment, as you were. VERY FUNNY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes a doctor with over 8+ years of training to spot a Korean, right?
    Love this story! My cheeks are streaming with tears. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete