Sunday, September 13, 2009

Day 6

The prompt:
Back in 1938, before...
blenders, chipotle peppers, heirloom tomatoes, and food network - I guess there was no good salsa.
That aside, I used to spend a lot of time with my Grandma - and I loved to ask her about the "olden days."  One of her favorite memories that she shared many times with me was when she and her family would pile into an old clunker of a car on a Saturday night for the sole purpose of popcorn eating and people watching.  This was their entertainment and sometime THE event of the week or month.  Good ol' people watching is highly underrated these days.  With all of the gadgets, technology, and cell phones - sure, they make life easier - but they can also suck the life out of who we are and the connections we make with people.
Silver Lining: I won't get on a soapbox too often.

1 comment:

  1. That soapbox is kind of a good one...and I forgot about that story from Grandma. Did you know that not only did Mom not have an indoor toilet in their Hardy house, but that they didn't have any indoor plumbing at all? They had to wash their hair at the sink and the pump at the sink was just rainwater--so it'd have polliwogs in it. She just told me that on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete