Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Merry, Merry...

Merry Christmas!  This is the time of year that is filled with joy and peace and sharing and singing carols and wrapping presents and... and... putting up the **$@# Christmas tree.  So, wham! Thanksgiving is over and it's time deck the halls.  I begin the process by looking around the house for all of the fall decorations, so I can carefully put them all back in their "proper storage area."  This is a term that is used often in my house.  Before I was married, there was a closet, a laundry room, and a basement - now I have tubs labled with "Fall Decorations" and "Easter Baskets" and even "Random Parts" - I guess we don't want those non-descript items to feel left out.  But I digress.  The hunt for a Merry Christmas is on and I am leading the charge.
No, we can't put the lights on yet - we have to put the tree together first.
Yes, you can help.
No, you can't wear the Christmas stockings.
Yes, you can put on some holiday music.
No, don't step on that!
Yes, that's where the Nativity Scene goes.
No, I will be in charge of where the donkey goes.
Yes, you may now put on some ornaments.
No, you may not crank on that Polar Express ornament one more time or the train will most certainly stop it's climb to the North Pole.
Yes, Santa will come.
No, not tonight.
Yes, he already knows what you want.
No, I don't know what comes after ...Jingle Bells, Batman smells...
Yes, I will be making dinner at some point.
No, it will not be candy canes.
Yes, we should move the tree over a titch.
No, I don't think I can ... oh... that's odd... oh no!  Help!
Yes, I know it comes in pieces - I just thought it was put together properly...
No, I think it's fine right where it is.
Yes, you may plug that little lighted house in.
No, you may not put Baby Jesus in it.
Yes, Dad is in the house... somewhere...
No... I guess he's not... hmmm...
Yes, that really is a cute picture of you when you were two.
No, I don't think we will have any more children.
Yes, I was a little cranky, but now I'm fine.
No, I really do love doing this - it just isn't showing very much is it?
Yes, you bet, go plug it in and let's light it up!
No, you're right, I didn't think you could do it by yourselves, but turns out - you did a very nice job.
Yes, we're done.
Thank you.  Merry Christmas.  Good night.
No, I'm not going to bed right now.
Yes, I'm having a glass of wine.
Happy December First!

3 comments:

  1. Julie I read every single one of your posts. Love them! Keep 'em coming!

    Julie (Loeckle) Scharnhorst

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Julie - I love that you are enjoying it! As long as I'm a mom - I'll have plenty of material! You made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are a hoot! You need a weekly column in the NY Times! Joby

    ReplyDelete