Monday, September 27, 2010

Happy Halloween...

Okay, I'm slinking around Target waiting for a prescription to be filled.   So after a glance at the floor lamps, scented candles, shampoo, photo frames, and winter hats, I thought I might peruse the Halloween costumes for my kids.  Am I the only one that thought a cat was a good costume?  Or a witch?  Maybe a princess or a mummy?

These are some of the choices available to my female 6 year old:

1. Punk Pixie... Sorry, but what the..?  What even is that?

2. Little Miss Good and Bad... some half devil/half angel thing that had one side of the "skirt" hemmed up to the hip, and the other side hemmed to below the ankle.  Not only is it appropriate - it will be perfect for sub-zero, Minnesota trick or treating!

3. Skeleton Princess... cross and skull bones a-go-go - all over the outfit, complete with tattoos for the face.  I don't know about you, but when I was in first grade, a cross and skull bones meant POISON - STAY AWAY.  What the heck kinda costume is that?  And what first grader comes home from school and says, "Mom, Dad, I think I would like to be a poisonous chemical for Halloween.?

The whole experience made me feel like Peppermint Patty from the Thanksgiving Charlie Brown episode when she yelled at Charlie Brown for not having a traditional Thanksgiving meal.  This time though it's about Halloween and I'm yelling at Charlie Brown, "Where's the black cat, where's the scary witch, where's the cute little pumpkin, where's the ghost!  You can't have Halloween without the ghost, Chuck!!"

I'm old.

1 comment: